Sunday, July 26, 2009

Two Faces But Not Two Faced

"You cannot serve two masters"

"Either he will hate the one and love the other or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." Matt 6:24

Simply put but not as easy to eradicate from your life. I saw these words today and it hit home as this has been weighing heavy on me for the past few months. I am not sure if this subtle evilness has silently crept into my life/heart. I don't feel like my main goal in life is to make money and I feel I have a healthy habit of giving from the heart. BUT is my life too comfortable...or better put am I staying where I am because it's comfortable? I have most definitely been blessed to have a rather interesting/unique job that has now gotten to the place that pays well, but is now slowly killing me. I don't have any desire for this to be my career, but the money is good and the schedule works for me. But I fear I stay because it makes my life comfortable instead of seeking out the passions that God has put in my heart. (I will say that it is a blessing because it does allow me free time to do some of the things I do love.) I also question where is the level of comfort that God truly wants us to be. No matter how much money I make.....millions, billlions, whatever....I could give it all away to better the lives of others and leave me in poverty again. We could always do more, give more, love more. And where do I stand in that? I just feel lacking. I do believe that is an individualized plan for each person and God knows what that is. But I feel I don't exactly have that understood in my life. All I know is that I feel God is requiring more of me. I don't know what this will look like, but I do know that He has more in store for me than I could ever imagine. I guess I have left imagining at the door a long time ago.

Two more verses that are challenging me right now:
"You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." John 13:7
"Test me in this...and see if I will not open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." Malachi 3:10

No comments: